“Streetlamp” Part 2

I posted in my previous entry, that I was making a music video.  The crew behind the camera was almost the same crew as the first SCAD film I did (“Sharp”).  As I mentioned also, I have worked with these guys several times and I knew what I was getting into.  This is a special group of people, not only are they my friends, but they are professional and very meticulous.  I knew when I asked them to help me, that the end product was going to be great, but I also knew it was going to be hard work. That is an understatement!

I don’t really know where to begin.  We filmed over the course of 4 days, and before that there was a lot of planning.  Since it was my project, and these guys were helping me out, I scouted the key locations and found people appear as the younger version of myself and the other people who are part of the flashback scenes.  Joseph, the director, was also on the lookout for those people too, but with a job and schoolwork and directing this video, his plate was pretty full.  I also, with the help of Alex, catered most of the food.  Colleen, Joseph’s girlfriend, cooked for the first day of shooting. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes, a lot of planning, cooking, rehearsing, editing and the list goes on.  I would love to make more music videos, as much work as it was, it was a blast!

There were trials and tribulations throughout the filming of  “Streetlamp”  When we were going to film the “Future” scene, our man showed up an hour and a half  late.  When we were down on River St. on a Monday night when it was  very slow, however, several times when Joseph said “Action!” someone would crawl out of the woodwork and walk through the scene.  Or he would be just about to call “Action!” and something else would happen and then we would have to reset.  The toughest night, was the last day.

I walked around for a couple of hours trying to find a girl who would play in one of  the flashback scenes. I ended up talking with a friend of mine and he called his friend, Jessie.  Though I talked to her on the phone, I didn’t meet her until two hours later, when we shot those scenes.  She and Franklin(who played the younger me) I think, did a great job.  At Forsyth we had everything set up, but had to move on account of pee wee football practice, so we got started a little later than expected.  After those scenes, we ate dinner and went over to Oglethorpe Square.

We got started there, much later than expected, and there were a lot of shots to shoot and a couple of wardrobe changes.  It was going really smooth until the sprinklers came on at 3am.  Thanks to how fast everyone moved, we were able to get everything out of the way before it got hit with water.  We figured out what the sequence of  the sprinklers and adjusted the shooting schedule as we went.  The day started on Wednesday at 5:30pm it did not end until 5:00am Thursday morning.  Joseph bought food for as at an all night place and Alex and Jen went to pick it up for us- thank heavens.  It had been over eight hours since we ate, sprinklers were messing up the shooting, and everyone was getting tired.  With all of that, I have to say, these guys always maintained professionalism and a great attitude.  It looked as if we weren’t going to be able to get the final shot we needed to get, but just as a lot of the stuff was packed up and almost ready to go, the final sprinkler shut off.  I don’t think anyone wanted to stay any later, (myself included) but to everyone’s credit, they did.  I can say thank you a million times and express my gratitude a million different ways and I don’t think it would ever be enough.

I also need to say thank you to Brian, for letting us use his restaurant, and Jefferson for staying at the job an extra 5 hours!  Jeff for letting us use his bar.  Franklin, for playing the younger me and Jessie, for playing the girlfriend.

Monday, Ben- who was the Director of Photography, showed me the first rough cut.  I thought it looked great.  There are all kinds of little nuances with the use of traffic lights and other colors.  What he discovered and what I saw was, we had too much video for the tune.  What he did was use the second half of what we filmed and put it to the song I recorded.  It looked very good.   I was quite pleased with what he did.  I had about three and a half minutes of music and the video turned out to be seven minutes.  So what we are going to do is, put up what we have as my video and then I am going to re-record the music to make and extended version.  You can hear the version I recorded, just click below–


As I also mentioned in my previous blog, we will be launching a kickstarter campaign to recover the costs of producing this video.  Also, to help with finishing the extended version.  We were on a shoestring budget, no, a thread budget.   Any help that can be offered  with those recovery costs, would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much for you continued love and support!

Below are some photos that I took during the shooting on the last day.  Just a little fun 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: