My Trip, Part 5

I pulled into Albany around 3:30 on Saturday afternoon.  Took some time to catch up and scout an area to play.  I was talking to a fellow in the coffee shop about what I was doing there and asked where a good spot may be.  He told me a couple of different places.  I went to the closer location first and saw there wasn’t much going.  I found that kind of odd for a Saturday night in a big city.  I went to the second location and went up and down the street twice and found a place and looked for a spot to play.  I found both relatively quickly.  

I got out on Lark Ave and saw there was a lot happening in the way of people walking by and having a good time.  I set up and started my warm up improv as I always do.  Almost immediately, I could tell it was going to a good night.  It was a good night.  I wish I had went to that location first.  By the time I got there it was 6:30ish. I played out there for almost 90 minutes and had a good time and received some nice tips and compliments.  I wish I wasn’t afraid to play after dark in these bigger cities.  It was stating to get dark and I just don’t feel safe.  I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.  As near as I could tell, Albany NY is busking friendly.  The police drove by me on a couple of occasions and said nothing to me and people seemed to enjoy what I was doing. Like I said, I wish I had got there sooner.

The next morning I drove into Vermont.  I was able to meet another long time facebook and twitter friend.  April, her daughter and mother welcomed me into their home as if I was an old friend they hadn’t seen in a while.  They were very friendly  and generous.  Conversation and laughs took up a good part of the day.  April made some lunch and soon after she and her daughter went to the park with me and hung out while I played.  I was hoping to get some mid-afternoon Sunday traffic.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t a lot of it.  A few people walked through and one woman even sat down and listened for while and talked with April.  Before that, April had given me a quote and I did an improv based on that.  It has been a while since I did that and that was fun.  

After spending the day in Vermont and exchanging gifts with April and her family and sharing our art it was time to go. To see some of April’s work, please click on the “Between Hearts 75” link on the right in my blogroll.  I am grateful for the time there and the coffee that kept brewing throughout the day.  

When I left Vermont, I headed to the west side of NH, where my brother and his wife live.  I hadn’t seen them in a long time.  My GPS kept cutting out on me all throughout Vermont and even after I got to his down.  I kept getting lost and it was frustrating the hell out of me!  I got there about 20 minutes after I should have.  I was just happy to finally find the place and see my brother! Today, I called Lebanon and Hanover Town Halls.  There is no busking in Hanover- I would suggest, don’t even try it.  In Lebanon, to busk in the parks, a permit is needed- but not to busk on the sidewalks.  Under the threat of rain, I didn’t go out today.  Instead, I hung out at the house and had a wonderful visit with my sister-in-law, Patti. When my brother got home we had an awesome dinner and my brother and I watched “Django Unchained”  Tomorrow I will be out in Lebanon in the afternoon and at some point, I will be in Portsmouth! 

Thank you for following along!

1 comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: